Monday, November 30, 2009

There is a Difference!

My friends, there is a difference! Never think that all churches are the same! There is a difference. And I'm angry!

I play basketball on Monday nights at a pick-up league at the Moorestown High School. Tonight, just as we were about to pick teams and get organized, about half of the guys walked right out! With no explanation at all, except for a few cryptic comments about a young man who had just walked in.

The rest of us continued on and played anyway. When we all decided that we had enough, I went over to the young man and asked him about the situation. And here is the story.

This young guy, Ben, grew up as a Jehovah's Witness in Moorestown. Now, he is in his late-20's and has hiw own son. About nine months ago, he decided that he did not want his son to grow up in that faith-system. So he left. Ben wrote his requisite letter to the local Watchtower elders, explaining that he has decided to leave.

So far, so good. The problem is that all Jehovah's Witnesses are required to shun anyone who leaves. And it just so happens that the men who left the gymnasium tonight are all Witnesses. They know Ben and therefore they all were required to leave in order to shun him.

Ben explained to me that this is part of the reason why he left. In addition, Jehovah's Witnesses are required to only socialize with other members of the Kingdom Hall. Ben did not want his son to grow up in such a restrictive, manipulative environment.

I tell you what, I am pissed! I confess that I am not very tolerant of stupidity. I told Ben that I supported him in his decision. Each of us needs to make our own decisions and not allow ourselves to be manipulated by those in authority who use fear to maintain control.


I am sorry, but the Jehovah's Witnesses are a dangerous cult. They are an embarassment to our Lord Jesus Christ. Their actions reveal the fact that they totally misunderstand the Bible. Our Lord Jesus never shunned anyone! I am proud to be part of the true church of Christ where everyone is welcome; where all are given a chance to experience the amazing love of God.

Next week at basketball, I am going to let those guys have it. They need to know that they are wrong. I'm going to ask each one if they are here to play basketball or to talk about God. Because I will take 'em on either way that they want it. Such cowards. I have no patience for cowardly men, and I don't think the Lord does either. "For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline" (2 Timothy 1:7).

There is a difference, my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Their shunning policy can be so painful. Also there is not much freedom in that organization to criticize the leaders and their policies including the shunning policy.

    ReplyDelete