Monday, April 26, 2010

Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet!

The Reverend Gerard Manley Hopkins, SJ (1844-1889)


What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wilderness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.
(From Hopkins poem, Inversnaid)

Praise be to God for the insightful awareness of Gerard Manley Hopkins, incredible poet. I love the wilderness and the wet, as he penned it. No, that does not suffice. More than that; I need them. If I am separated from wildness for too long, my soul aches. Man-made devices and schemes leave me numb, stale and deviod of enthusiasm. It is the wilderness of creation that brings me in touch with the wildness of God. As the great Rich Mullins said, "God is a wild man." Look past the anthropomorphism. Hopefully, you can perceive the point, for it is deep and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment