Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tattoos vs. Scars


I have been asked many times whether or not I have a tattoo. I am not opposed to having a tattoo in principle, but the truth is that I would rather have scars.

Tattoos are things that someone buys in order to create a persona, an external image that they want to affect other people in a certain way. Scars are the result of things that one has done (or at least attempted!). I think it is better to do things, to attempt things, to live life to the full, rather than be controlled by social norms to create a false persona on the outside. I think that only seniors ought to get tattoos once they have experienced enough life to deserve one - once they have real scars to make the tattoo worth something beyond an childish attempt to appear tough or cool.

I have plenty of scars, but I do not yet have a tattoo. If I were to get a tattoo, I would get a celtic cross on my shoulder with some gaelic words around it, like:
  • glor na gael (the voice of the irish which St. Patrick heard calling to him), or
  • Dia mor nan dul (Great God of life - ancient Highland address to God), or
  • rath De' ort (grace of God to you)

2 comments:

  1. You're very welcome, Anne. Thanks for reading it! It's amazing to think that anyone pays attention to the random ramblings of my mind. Blessins to you.

    ReplyDelete