Saturday, July 10, 2010

Ten Rungs Into the Summer Air

After a week of the most intense heat that I have ever felt in New Jersey, a poem came to me. Every night (and on my days off), I am working on our house exterior. Well, these words came to me in the heat high up on our 32' ladder as I was thinking about my lovely wife, Erin. It's a personal poem written for her, but I thought I'd share it with the world as well. Why not? Maybe it will be a blessing to someone else as well.

Ten Rungs Into the Summer Air

Which is better for a man:

to know how to make money
or to know how to make love


Random thoughts fly in and out
Haze and heat induced
like the cumulous clouds
seen from my elevated perch
so full of promise and potential
yet unable to deliver

The drought lingers on
the account stays negative
No rain dance will change this pattern


At least I know how
to make you feel good
with the one thing
I can (usually) control.

No comments:

Post a Comment